30 g raisins (if desired)
1 shot of rum
250 ml milk
1 pinch of salt
2 tsp. vanilla sugar
120 g smooth plain wheat flour
60 g fine white sugar
2 tbsp. butter
Icing sugar for serving
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (upper/lower heat; 180°C for fan oven). Soak the raisins in rum for about 15 minutes.
2. Separate the eggs and hand whisk the egg yolks with milk, salt, vanilla sugar and flour to make a smooth batter.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites and the fine white sugar until very stiff. Now, gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
4. Melt the butter in a wide ovenproof pan and then pour in the batter. Strain the rum raisins and spread them over the batter. Fry the mixture briefly, and then put it in the oven for twelve minutes until it turns golden brown.
5. Then tear the “schmarrn” apart using two forks, dust with icing sugar and serve.